The Cavitt Chronicle

Filed under News

Sorrowful Cyberbullying: How You Can Help

Bullying is a serious problem in California, but with the development of cyberbullying, bullying can become even more humiliating.  Everything online is

open for anyone to see, so bullying has become even more hurtful than before.  What was once a mean photo of someone is now potentially out there for friends and family to see.

Even though many see cyberbullying as a joke, people can face serious repercussions if they participate in the bullying.  If you participate in cyberbullying, you are committing a misdemeanor.  Misdemeanors in California can warrant  jail time for a year, a maximum fine of $1000, or both.  

When someone is cyberbullied, especially successively, that person can face harmful, long-term effects.  These long-term effects happen to more people than we know.  As the Cyber Bullying Statistics 2014 show, almost 25% of kids have been bullied successively.  Kids who are cyberbullied have a 2 in 9 chance of considering suicide.  Cyberbullying is also related to substance abuse, antisocial behavior, delinquency, low self esteem, etc.  Children will even miss school for extensive periods of time because they are afraid of the bully.  

Are you a cyberbully?  Do you post mean pictures of other students on social media or post rude or degrading comments on someone else’s photo?  If you said yes to any of these, you may, unwittingly, be a cyberbully.  You can become a kind and supportive friend on the internet.  If you see someone who is being bullied on the internet, flood their feed with kind, positive comments.  As you can see, cyberbullying is a big problem, so say NO to cyberbullying.