Filed under News

What Makes a Bully? Cavitt Students Lend a Voice

Bullies are people– even adults, not only students in junior high, or high school, or elementary school– that everyone knows about. Since elementary school, school have been trying to prevent and end bullying.

Cavitt students were asked what they thought a bully is, and they answered with this:

Riva Milner, eighth grader, said, “Someone who knowingly does an act to hurt someone [else] repeatedly. An example is taking other people’s [belongings]. [Or telling someone] ‘Give me your lunch money,’.”

Trenton Jones, eighth grader, defined a bully as “… a person who is verbally or physically aggressive to someone else. Fighting or talking them down.”

A statement from Alex Miller about the question, “[A person who] is constantly singling you out and repeatedly doing something. Hitting other people because they don’t want to do what you want them to do with malicious intent. Taking you aside and telling you mean things. Taking intent, others’ words and twisting them to make the speaker look bad.”

Anti-bullying websites such as www.stopbullying.com define bullying as “unwanted aggressive behavior… that involves a real or perceived power imbalance… is repeated or has the potential to be repeated.” Bullying is a problem, and with today’s current culture with friends insulting each other and teasing each other in mean, and usually unwanted ways, repeatedly aggressive behavior is sometimes dismissed as a joke between friends.

Bullying is repeatedly aggressive behavior toward another for a prolonged time period, and can be caused because the bully wants to feel popular, finds bullying fun, or find that bullying them makes them feel better than themselves according to bullyingnoway.gov.au. Bullies may also be or have been victims of bullying themselves.

Stopbullying.gov mentions that bullies are more likely to abuse alcohol and other controlled substances. They are also more likely to abuse those near them adults, be criminally convicted, and get into fights or drop out of school.

Knowing what a bully is and the possible pasts and futures of someone who bullies others is important to stopping bullying.