Filed under Opinion

Gum Should Be Allowed at School

Although many students and teachers disagree with gum being allowed at school I think gum should be allowed at school. It is a proven fact that gum helps you focus, concentrate, and relieve stress.

First, gum can will help you focus and concentrate while the teacher is talking. Chewing gum can help you stay focused for longer on tasks that require constant attention. Previous research has shown that chewing gum can improve concentration in visual memory tasks.

I understand the popping and the gum sticking under the desks is annoying, but if gum was allowed at school kids wouldn’t put it under the desk. The reason they do this is because they don’t want to get in trouble so they hide it under the desks. If gum was allowed at school there could be some conditions that say you can only chew gum if you didn’t pop it, smack your lips, and you dispose of it properly.

Secondly, it helps with long-term assignments and tests in class. Researchers discovered chewing gum can help you stay focused for longer on tasks that require constant attention. Researchers split 38 participants into two groups. One was chewing gum one wasn’t. Both groups completed a 30 minute audio test. The participants were scored on how accurately and quickly they were able to detect a series of odd-even-odd numbers, such as 7-2-1.  Researchers discovered participants who chewed gum had quicker reaction times and more accurate results than the participants who didn’t chew gum.

Lastly, gum can give you energy. Peppermint gum can help boost your performance in a number of ways, such as increased motivation, confidence, energy and alertness.

In conclusion I think gum should be allowed at school even with all the down sides to gum being allowed at school.

Trent Todd, Staff writer

Trent Todd is a seventh grader at Cavitt Junior High School.

1 Comment

One Response to “Gum Should Be Allowed at School”

1. Jack Lund on May 7th, 2018 8:03 am

You repeated your information too many times.

*

Gum Should Be Allowed at School