Filed under Sports

Cross Country Season Ends On A Good Note

Wow! Haven’t the Cowboys improved since the start of the season? Most runners have improved their times by at least 45 seconds since their first race! Mr. Cook and Mr. Pozzi are very proud of the team and their efforts to have a good season.

Mr. Cook said that he was proud of how most people put in a lot of effort and improved their times over the course of the season. He also liked how most people came to practice wanting to get better and try their best.

Mr. Pozzi said that he is very pleased about how the season went and he loved all the commitment and determination for the runners to get out of their comfort zone and run. He also said that one of his highlights from the season was going on long runs, because it let the runners see the lake and nature and running real cross country.

For the seventh grade boys,  Spencer Longoria and Josh Kerekes finished in the finals with times of a time of 9 minutes, 54 seconds for Longoria and a time of 11:00 for Kerekes. for the girls, Alyssa Placido, Bridget Sullivan, and Reagan Gotham were the fastest seventh graders and they finished with times of 10:23 for Placido, 10:34 for Sullivan, and 10:54 for Gotham.  They all said that it was nice to get to know people more, helped them become mentally tougher, and they said that the practices were fun.

For the eighth graders, Grace McGuckin finished at the finals with a personal best time of 9:51. Naomi Jamieson finished with a time of 10:15 and she said that she improved as the meets went on and while she did not like the process of training, she liked her end results.

For the boys, Brayden Ashby, Matthew Bradley, and Ethan Scifres all did really well for the boys, and they finished with times of 10:23 for Ashby, 11:39 for Bradley, and Scifres received the best time of the season for Cavitt with a time of 9:49. All of them said that it was fun to run by the lake, because it is a pretty view and since it is on the levee, it has hills, so they said that it pushed them to get faster. They also said that they liked to release all their energy there at practice and it helped improve their mile times for P.E.

Cavitt was in the top ten schools in the league against the other schools in the league, Granite Oaks, Buljan, Creekview Ranch, Eich, Olympus, Glen Edwards, Cooley, E.V. Cain, Silverado, Chilton, Twelve Bridges, Spring View, and  Antelope Crossing.

Congrats to all the seventh graders on the team who made it and ran in  the finals: Reagan Gotham, Malia Martin, Alyssa Placido, Maya Reddy, Alyssa Savig, Olivia Stenson, Bridget Sullivan, Lorenzo Florez, Josh Keres, Louis Lemoine, Spencer Longoria, Niko Milner, Colton Snyder, and Tyler Wittwer.

And for all the eighth graders on the team who made it to the finals: Delaney Roach, Grace McGuckin, Denali Lasko, Naomi Jamieson, Lina Elsawaf, Keeley Downie, Sara Brown, Ryan Weggelaar, Ethan Scifres, Nathan Salhberg, Noah Lemay-Assh, Lucas Brown, Matthew Bradley, and Brayden Ashby.

Through cross country, everyone became closer to each other, got in better shape, and became physically and mentally stronger.