Filed under Opinion

Zero Period PE Should Be Equal to Regular PE

Zero period PE is a great opportunity for students here at Cavitt to add another elective to their schedule by going to PE before school starts. Though I do agree that this is a great idea, there is a bad side to this before-school PE.

One of the first obvious problem is that it is so early. Kids in zero period PE usually wake up between 5:40 and 6:10, just so they will try to be able to get to school on time. Waking up this early does cause some problems, not only for the kids but for the adults that have to drive them there. Students doing zero period have a chance of being tired and grumpy during school because of the lack of sleep from waking up early for P.E. and them staying up late with their homework load.

Another major problem some of the zero period P.E. students have noticed is the difference between before school and during school P.E.’s changing times. Student who have normal PE during school have about five minutes to change then five minutes to change out. Students who have zero period P.E. arrive at school with their P.E. clothes on, diminishing the five minutes before the people who have normal P.E, making zero period P.E. a tiny bit longer than normal P.E.

Those first two reasons aren’t a big issue, but minimum days, block days, and half days, like the ones students had for parent conference are. During the week of parent conferences the teachers made school a block schedule, where Tuesday and Thursday were periods zero, one, two, and three, and Wednesday and Friday were zero, six, five, and four. See the problem? Zero period P.E. was everyday that week, while every other period only had three days of P.E., including Monday.

Even though the zero period P.E. was shorter than normal P.E. in a single day, the totals say different. Zero period had a total of 2 hours and 40 minutes over the block schedule days, while normal P.E. had a total of 2 hours and 24 minutes over the two days the students have P.E. It may not be a big difference, but factor in that normal P.E. has the time to change in and out of P.E. clothes, while zero period P.E. has only the time to change out of their clothes, normal P.E. has a shorter P.E. than zero period P.E.

I’m not saying that Cavitt should stop zero period P.E., I’m just saying that we should try to make it more equal to the normal P.E. We should try to take time off of the zero period on days normal P.E. has shorter P.E., like on Mondays.