Filed under Opinion

Enjoy Halloween While You Still Can

Halloween is a really fun and exciting holiday for most kids and parents. This is an opportunity where you get to dress up as whatever you want, and go door to door ringing doorbells and saying “trick or treat”. Kids that are young and have only had a few Halloweens usually really look forward to finding a costume and collecting treats.

Halloween is an annual holiday, celebrated each year on Oct. 31, that has roots in age-old European traditions. It originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints; soon, All Saints Day incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows Eve, and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a day of activities like trick-or-treating and carving jack-o-lanterns.

There are a lot of countries and religions that do not celebrate Halloween. In China they have a version of Halloween called the Lantern Festival. They gather with friends and family, have bonfires and send lighted lanterns into the sky to remember lost family members.

I think that Halloween is a great time to hang out with your friends and have a good time. The past couple of years I have gone to parties with large groups of friends. We usually go out to a few neighborhoods and trick or treat.

When I was little I always wanted to dress up as an athlete. One year I was Tom Brady of the New England Patriots and another year I dressed up as a Boston Celtic basketball player. This year I was just wearing a mask.

Halloween can be dangerous so you should always be with large groups of friends and parents and know the neighborhoods you are in. Kids have been poisoned with bad candy or kidnapped. You should also carry a flashlight with you at all times.

Every year I am allowed to pick out a few of my favorite candies then my Dad takes the remainder of the candy to his work. I usually have a ton of candy and if I ate it all I probably would be pretty unhealthy.

Trick or Treating is not as fun for high school kids so this might have been my last Halloween to do it. I will still get together with friends, hand out candy to little kids and have fun.