Filed under Entertainment

‘My Little Pony’ Will Make You Smile

Have you wanted a little bit more joy in your life? Well this is just the movie for you, “My Little Pony: The Movie.” This feel good movie is about alicorn Twilight Sparkle and her friends Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity, and their journey to save their home, Equestria, from Tempest Shadow and a never before seen evil.

The plot of “My Little Pony: The Movie” is way different than any of the TV series, taking the Mane 6 out of their home and into dangerous new territory. I thought this was a great addition to the story, and I hope they bring this to the TV show.

This movie had a wide range of actors, including Emily Blunt as Tempest Shadow, Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle, Andrea Libman as Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, Ashleigh Ball plays Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and Tabitha St. Germain plays Rarity, and a whole other host of voice actors for the other characters in the story. Though it is odd to have one actor play two different people, I do think they are very talented to be able to change their voice in order to have a conversation with the other character they play in the movie.

The animation for “My Little Pony: The Movie” is great, making the movie flow smoothly from one scene to the next. There is one small problem though: the animation for the movie and the animation for the show doesn’t match up. The eye style of either the movie or the show don’t match, but that is only one small detail only true fans would catch. That tiny mishap doesn’t interfere, and the animation is practically in sync besides that.

The soundtrack for the movie is amazing, not only because Sia plays singer Songbird Serenade. The music has a wide range, from ominous to jazzy, to just plain pop. Some might say that music coming from musical movies sounds like the movie, but in the case of the song “Rainbow,” it sounds like it could come straight from today’s top hits.

“My Little Pony: The Movie” doesn’t seem like the type of movie that would throw dozens of twists at you, but you would be wrong. This movie has tons of plot twists that you would never expect, but I won’t spoil any of them for you. Those twists are just the things that help separate the engaging movie from the predictable shows, but in a good way.

Most stories have a moral or a message to it, and this movie packs a lot of messages into this story. Some of the messages I got while watching the movie are friendship, loyalty, kindness gets you through hard times, one small thing can make a big difference, careful who you trust, and a whole other host of meaningful messages.

I think “My Little Pony: The Movie,” deserves an A+, even if it did get a 50% on the Rotten Tomatoes website because it is a great movie to cheer you up. It is still playing in theaters, has a playtime of 99 minutes, and will be sure to put a smile on your face.