Filed under News

Cavitt Holds Earthquake Drill

The Great California ShakeOut is an annual opportunity to practice how to be safer during an earthquake. The ShakeOut encourages schools to practice emergency preparedness and create a safe place to avoid serious injury.  Cavitt held its earthquake drill on Oct. 18 during third period.

While some areas of California are more likely to have earthquakes than others  all of California is at higher risk compared to the rest of the country. You could be anywhere when an earthquake strikes: at home, at work, at school, or even on vacation.

The process that you go through when there is an earthquake is you drop to the floor and find cover. When you find cover make sure that it is away from the windows. On the ground find something that you can hold on to. If you are outside when an earthquake happens then find and area away from buildings, and trees, and put on hand on your head and one on your stomach.

Because every second matters during an earthquake your entire family should practice the Drop, Cover and Hold drills in your house. Find spots in the house that are safe and practice the drills every year. If you have a family member who is disabled they will need extra helps to make sure they are safe. If you have pets you should come up with a plan for them as well.

A long time ago schools use to teach that standing in a doorway was a safe place to be during an earthquake. That is no longer taught.  It is better to get under a desk or sturdy table than being in a doorway; this will protect you from falling objects better.

On September 19th, students in Mexico were reviewing their annual earthquake drills as well as adults in office buildings. A few hours later an 8.0 magnitude earthquake caused a building to crash. Many lives were saved because they practiced the safety drills.