Filed under News

Cavitt Students Take Part in CJSF

The state of California has a program called CJSF. The program is for junior high students in California, and it stands for California Junior Scholarship Federation.  

Cavitt Junior High has a branch of the program.  Mrs. Laurin and Mr. Cook are the two people at Cavitt who run CJSF for our school.  About 35 students are participating in CJSF currently.

For the first trimester of the year, the school only allows eighth grade students to join. Seventh graders are allowed to join in the second and third trimesters because the school needs to see if they are doing well in school so they can take time to help others.

In the first week of the second trimester, seventh and eighth graders can get an application form from the front office if they want to join. The forms are due at the end of the third week of the second trimester.

CJSF does different things to help California’s community. One of the things that they do as a group is they help various charities.  To start this year, CJSF has chosen to help teenage cancer patients. CJSF will ask for donations and gifts to give teenagers around the holiday season.    

They also take field trips to colleges. Cavitt’s CJSF students recently took a field trip to the University of Nevada Reno. They plan on going to UC Davis and Sacramento State some time in the winter.   

If you want to join this program, you need to have good grades. The program requires that you reach a specific number of hours helping people with different tasks. Students who qualify get the Honor Award seal placed on their certificate of promotion.