Filed under News, Showcase

Science Curriculum To Change

Next year, the science curriculum for elementary and middle schools in the Eureka District is changing.

The curriculum is shifting its focus from mainly memorization to hands-on learning and they are going to start focusing on practices, core ideas, and crosscutting concepts.

Practices, core ideas, and crosscutting concepts are the three dimensions of science learning, as described by Next Generation Science Standards.

The National Science Council views proficiency in science as “both a body of knowledge and an evidence-based, model and theory building enterprise that continually extends, refines, and revises knowledge,” and proficiency is what the new standards are aiming for.

“I like the change because it fits my teaching styles,” said Mrs. Kornelis, the seventh grade science teacher at Cavitt Jr. High School, when she was asked how she felt about the shift. “We’re actually getting to do things,” Kornelis said when she described the change.

Kornelis explains, “One thing that is difficult about the current standards is that there isn’t enough curriculum, so we have to do most of it ourselves.”

“I like it because a lot of the labs will be hands on, and then it will be easier to understand,” states Avery Seva about her opinion on the change in science.

The change is going to start next year and many aspects of science will be adapting to the new standards and switching to different grades. Subjects that are switching are cells, which are going into sixth grade, eco studies, engineering, and light and sound waves, which are shifting into eighth grade.

The new standards involves teachers trying to incorporate all things into our learning process and trying to make it more hands on for the students.

Claire Warren, Staff writer

Claire Warren is a seventh grader at Cavitt Junior High School.