Filed under News, Showcase

Jazz Band Earns ‘Superior’ Honor at Gold Country Jazz Festival

Gold Country Jazz, is a jazz festival that occurred at Ponderosa High School on Saturday and Sunday, April 14-15. Performers from different schools usually only play for a few hours, but the festival lasts for two days.

Middle and high schools from around Sacramento play music in front of judges, while the judges record the performance.

After one of the participating schools plays, the judges then play back their recording. The performers can then hear where they need to improve on, and the judges explain how they can improve.

After this, the performers are rated on a scale; “good,” “excellent,” and “superior” are the most common ratings.

Our Cavitt jazz band received the superior rating, the highest rating.

Julius Stout and Jennifer Wolfe both received an honorary award for their outstanding solos.  

“Last year, we got the ‘excellent’ rating, but this year, we improved and received the ‘superior’ rating,” Natalie Stebbins says.

Mrs. Van den Bogaerde says, “Nobody actually wins. The festival was not a competition, we were just rated.”
Tickets were $7 for adults, $1 for students, and free for anyone under six. Many people from across California came to see these outstanding bands perform.