Filed under Sports

Track and Field Goes to Finals

In the league track and field finals meet, many Cavitt competitors earned medals and ribbons. These people were Sam Murray in shot put (a throw of 38 feet, 4.5 inches) to win the gold; Bella Mathis in the shot put (32 feet, 11 inches) for silver; and Mathis third in the 55 meter hurdles (in 9.73 seconds).

Abby Peterson in the 400 meters earned silver in a time of 1 minute, 3.67 seconds.  Grace McGuckin was second in the mile in 5:52.94.

The seventh grade girls 4×400 team, Ashley Fullmer, Taylor Jeffrey, Skyla Lang, and Olivia Wiese, with a 4:55.27 placed sixth.

Our whole Cavitt team played tenth ahead of Olympus, Twelve Bridges, W.C. Riles, Creekview Ranch, and E.V. Cain. They had 15 schools in total to compete against.

Taylor Jeffrey competed in four events, three of them individual and one on a team.

Her team is Ashley Fullmer, Taylor Jeffrey, Skyla Lang, and Olivia Wiese and they got 4:55.27 in the 4×400 and they placed sixth.

Taylor competed in the high jump, placing in a tie for fifth with 4 feet 4 inches; she was fourth in the long jump at 15 feet, and fifth in the 55 meter hurdles in 9.88 seconds as an individual.

People that placed top six in their event, but not medaling were Sam Murray in hurdles (sixth place), Spencer Longoria in the 400 meters (sixth place), Grace McGuckin in the 800 meters (fourth place), and the eighth grade girls team placed fifth.

Sam Murray who got first in shot put said that, “It went pretty well.” He was proud of how well him and other people did.

Ryan McCabe, Staff writer

Ryan McCabe is a seventh grader at Cavitt Junior High School.