Filed under News, Showcase

Eighth Graders Make Their Way to High School

Eighth graders will be celebrated and recognized at the Cavitt graduation ceremony on June 6, 2018.

Teachers and parents gather to celebrate graduating students the night before the last day of school from 7:00-8:00pm.  The eighth graders dress up in gowns and receive their diplomas.

At the ceremony, several students are recognized for academic achievement, leadership skills, citizenship, or a combination of all the above.  

Cavitt presents five top awards to nine recipients: one Kiwanis, two American Legion,  two scholastic, two leadership, and two citizenship. The Kiwanis and American Legion awards are given to students who demonstrate academic, leadership, and citizenship skills.  Each department awards two students, and every elective has the option to acknowledge one as well.

There are three eighth grade speakers, one master or mistress of ceremony and two students who give speeches.  

Students who would like to speak go through an audition process on May 21st in Mr. Woodland’s room.  They sign up with their history teacher and prepare a one minute speech to present to a panel of judges.  Mr. Woodland explains that they look for students with great public speaking skills and excellent content.

On May 21st, it was determined that the master of ceremony will be Nick Kappos, the opening speech will be done by Claire Sawyer, and Olivia Hempstead will present the closing speech.

Mrs. Platt also gives a speech, and the seventh grade band performs during the event.  They will play the “Graduation Suite” arranged by Micheal Story, which includes “Pomp and Circumstance March No.1” by Edward Elgar and “Rondeau From Premiere Suite” by Jean Joseph Mouret.  “Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1” will be played as the students walk in, and the “Rondeau From Premiere Suite” will be played when they exit. The Cavitt band will also perform “Fanfare for a Celebration” arranged by Bruce Pearson in the midst of the ceremony.

Before the event, there is a lot of preparation.  The students run through the ceremony before the graduation, practicing handshakes and walking.

When Mr. Robertson was asked his opinion on the graduation ceremony, he replied, “It is a tradition.  Back in the day, most didn’t go to high school, so eighth grade graduation was their only graduation. It’s fun for the families to celebrate their children, but it doesn’t really matter in the big picture since everyone goes to high school.”

Maddi Kim, Staff writer

Maddi Kim is a seventh grader at Cavitt Junior High School.