Filed under News, Showcase

Bands Head to Bay Area for Concert and Fun

Recently, both of Cavitt’s bands went to the bay area to a play in a performance on May 4. On May 5, they had fun doing other things there as well.

They took two buses to drive down to San Francisco, with their overnight bags stored underneath it.

“It’s a really good experience for the kids to play at a music festival in front of judges,” states Mrs. Van den Bogaerde, the band teacher. “It’s also a very great bonding experience for the kids.”

For the performance, the seventh and eighth-grade bands performed extremely well. The eighth-grade band earned gold, while the seventh-graders received silver.

On May 4, they were required to be at school at 7:00 a.m. and left soon after. Then they arrived at the Diablo Valley College and performed, and spent the rest of the day at the Exploratorium and Pier 39. On May 5th, the bands went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and spent the entire day there, arriving back at Cavitt around 9:00 p.m.

The Spring Tour, according to Mrs. Van den Bogaerde, is in the spring most likely because the bands are more advanced musically.

Cavitt has been doing the Spring Tour for a while now. It has been around 15 years since we started doing this trip annually in the spring.

“I really enjoy it because it’s fun to see the students in a different setting outside of school,” states Mrs. Van den Bogaerde.

There were 55 kids and 15 parents who went on this trip, so there were 70 people total. It also means that most of the band kids came, with only a few staying at school.

The bands go to other places after the concert because it allows for more bonding time spent at a science museum. The bands have always gone to a science museum, but it differs from year to year.

Mrs. Van den Bogaerde wants to continue to keep doing this event for many years to come. She says that it is great for the kids to do this annually and that she really enjoys it.